Thursday, May 24, 2012

What defines you?

Tonight at bible study my pastor asked a question...What defines you?

I think that is a very interesting question. It really made me think about what I feel defines me. Sometimes I feel defined by the fact that I am a mother and a wife, or I feel that I am defined by my dominant traits such as being a planner and organizer by nature. Maybe I feel defined by my petite frame. Whatever I may be feeling defined by...somehow I don't think it’s what God defines me by (or you for that matter).

Even thought all of those things may be factual in my life they do not define me. As my pastor so creatively put it “they season and flavor my life”, but never define me. Neither does our experiences or lack thereof.

I now know the answer to this question.
MY RELATIONSHIP WITH JESUS DEFINES WHO I AM.

Definitely food for thought…my relationship with Jesus defines who I am, it really is that simple.

This leads me to another food for thought...in my relationships with others, do I allow my relationship with Jesus to shine through me and be the defining factor in me?

I am a shy person, I always have been. I am better in small groups than large crowds. I can be easily intimidated and shy away from too much interaction with people. So how do I be who I am in Christ in my interaction with others?

How did Jesus behave when he was confronted with crowds of people, he welcomed them and welcomed the opportunity to share with them truth and life.  How many opportunities does God give us each day to do the same and we pass them up because of fear?

For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.     2 Timothy 1:7

The next time we are faced with a situation or a circumstance when we have an opportunity to be a blessing to someone or speak truth to someone, let us have the courage and boldness to remember who we are in Christ and let that be what defines us.




No comments:

Post a Comment